10 Lessons from my 10+ year marketing careers. Things are always changing but some things are always true.
1. BRANDS ARE MORE THAN LOGOS. A strong brand includes office furniture, email templates, employee attitudes.
2. CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE MAKES OR BREAKS IT. Marketing can only do so much.
3. PROCESS MATTERS. Running around like a chicken without a head is a sure way to fail.
4. TESTING = GROWTH. Testing AND applying the results is the difference between wasting money and making an investment.
5. SPECIALISTS OUTPERFORM. Doing everything is simply not how you can be the most valuable.
7. EXPERTS DISAGREE. Eventually, you just have to try things yourself. Different things work for different people-businesses.
8. SOCIAL MEDIA SPOILED US. Early Facebook and Instagram spoiled us with free ways to reach an audience.
9. ADVERTISING COSTS MONEY. This was hard for me to really grasp, even as a marketer. I started marketing in the early social media days, so I got paid to make things look nice and design things to convert. Now, though, more of that money needs to go towards paying to get in front of customers.
10. RELATIONSHIPS ARE THE CORE. Whether it’s relationships with your customers, vendors, clients, community. It’s important to remember that all the people you do business with are people too.